Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Welcome! My Introduction to the Gluten Free World!



Hello!

My name is Mandy, and I have decided to talk about my journey in experimenting with the Gluten Free*** world!

It's going to be a tough journey, a journey many would give up on first try.  An expensive journey.  But also a rewarding one.

If any of you have worked with Gluten Free recipes, then you probably have gone through some of the frustrations that I have gone through, and continue to go through.

If you're like me you really wanted to cheap out at the beginning, and substitute other gluten free ingredients, that the internet said would be okay substitutes, but then turned out to be just a waste of money, until you finally caved and just bought what you needed.

Can you guess what specific ingredient I am talking about?

No? Well if you're new to the Gluten Free world, then let me give you one tip...

Xanthan Gum is your best friend!

Xanthan Gum?  What is Xanthan Gum, you may be asking?

Well, in the Gluten Free World there is no such thing as using regular flour.  Because...well, if you did't already know this (and if you don't, then maybe you need to go to a doctor to discuss the basics), flour is GLUTEN!

Anyway, normal Gluten Flour has a binding agent that allows baking goods to properly rise and get its shape.  That is something that most gluten free flours do NOT have.

Which is where Xanthan Gum comes in!

Xanthan Gum is your binding agent in the Gluten Free World.


It can be used to make cookies, cakes, breads, and even Salad Dressings!

I learned that Xanthan Gum is my best friend in the Gluten Free world the hard way, when I decided to cheap out and look for alternatives.  One of which online is Flax Seeds.

According to a few websites, a good substitute for Xanthan Gum is Flax Seeds.  They need to be finely ground up and then can be used to give the same texture to a baked item that xanthan gum would.  However, when I tried it (a few times), I could not get it to work at all, and my breads did not end up rising.

So before I go on and on about why Xanthan Gum is the way to go (unless you're allergic to it (it is made from corn)), just stop cheaping out and get the XANTHAN GUM!

You do not need a lot in recipes, so it will last!

Plus, after much looking around, I was able to find it on Amazon for $8.99 for a 6 ounce bottle! Which I know, a lot of other ingredients are cheaper, but if you want your baking process to be as simple as possible, this is the ingredient!


So anyway, yes Xanthan Gum is your best friend.  That is what I have learned so far from my journey in the Gluten Free world.  I have been experimenting since Christmas, last year (2015), and while I don't have a lot of time to bake, when I do I like to experiment and try different recipes.

I have a family member that recently found out she cannot eat gluten anymore due to RA, which has really put a damper on the things she can eat.  Because of her, I have doing some research on my own, and finding out what has gluten and what doesn't!  It's rather fascinating!

I'll be honest, when I first heard about a Gluten Free diet a few years ago, I thought it was a fad.  I thought it was yet another thing that people were telling themselves was a better way of living, versus eating gluten.

Now to be fair, the people I was meeting at the time were telling me they were choosing to eat gluten free, because of the EVIL gluten, and "If you think about it, it is nasty stuff"...to which I have to say...

"But I like bread..." (Insert sad face)

What I am trying to say is, I have gained so much respect for those of you who have a celiac allergy, because WOW, I cannot imagine not being able to eat 99% of what is in my local grocery store!


SO while yes, I have been baking and trying out different Gluten Free recipes, and substituting regular recipes to become gluten free, I, personally, do eat gluten.  I am a student, working a crappy (and by crappy, I mean low paying) job until I finish my bachelors this coming May, and therefore do not have the resources to go completely gluten free.  But not only that, I do not have an allergy, and therefore, sorry...but like I said, I like my bread, I like my cake, and I like my cookies...and Teriyaki Sauce!  (Did you know that has gluten in it??!! Because I didn't up until a few months ago!)

So really, what this blog is going to be about is me, an Amateur cook/baker, finding her way through this Gluten Free world, and even the regular cooking world, to hopefully make the lives of people who are in my shoes, and don't know a ton about this, easier, and give them tips as I make mistakes and learn about things!

I will trying recipes, reviewing them, and giving tips on what I find to be important when baking and cooking.  I will try to focus mainly on Gluten Free, but here and there there will be regular recipes.  I will always try to find ways to substitute, so that if you are gluten free then you have the option to give it a try on your own...just keep in mind if I haven't tried it, I will be doing the research online, and I cannot guarantee how the recipes will come out...but then again I cannot really guarantee how the recipes I do, in general, will come out!

But let's see how this goes!  It will be a fun learning experience for all of us, I hope.  I know it definitely will be for me! :)

Mandy @The Romance Foodie

***I am by no means an expert on Gluten Free!  Like I said, I am an amateur who is experimenting with different recipes that are gluten free, and telling you about my experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment